Friday, February 27, 2009

Worry Wart

I’ve gotten into the terrible habit of surfing the web until the wee hours of the morning at which point I become too exhausted to focus on a screen/book/bullshit so I succumb to sleep. I’ve worried almost constantly since I got here. Not that this is a new pastime for me but I’ve gotten rather obsessive. I am terrified of forgetting. The longer I live here the more it seems entirely possible to me that I could forget everything that made me happy back home. I am reticent to let myself become fully immersed in English culture (I’m definitely not going to replace ‘bathroom’ with ‘toilets’ any time soon. There are reasons for abstraction). What if I forget about Netflix and my held queue is deleted? What if I forget that I can sew? What if I forget my favorite park in San Diego where we like to go for picnics? Every time I try to explain this to people at home I get a verbal eye roll and a “what the hell are you talking about?”. But I can’t shake it. For Christmas my father gave me a small notebook as a stocking stuffer. I’ve been writing lists in it since I got here and the titles of these lists are getting more and more ridiculous. Before I left home I wrote “Things to Do in 2009” which looks fairly normal. Then there are lists for the cathedrals I want to see, the cities I want to visit…all pretty innocuous. But then there’s “Things to Do When I Get Back” and “Hobbies/Interests to Explore” and of course, “Things I Really Don’t Want to Forget”. Quite frankly, I am disturbing myself. I must subconsciously expect to be hit by a bus and sustain massive brain damage if I am making lists for nearly everything. Oh yes, there’s also “How to be More Ecological When I Get Home”. Maybe it’s a form of OCD. Oh god. That sounds entirely likely.

I hate this limbo. All I really want is some reassurance that when I get back my whole life will not have been turned upside down. It unnerves me that I basically just stuffed my shit into Chip’s attic and my backseat and left for another country. I didn’t even stop to think that I have to find somewhere to live when I get back not to mention find a job and unpack my stuff (for the 5th time in 3 years). I hate that I feel as if it is stuff that ties me to a place, that without that anchor I cannot seem to grow roots anywhere. But how deep can roots grow anyway in a matter of four months? I do not move on the breeze. I never have. Sometimes I fantasize that I am the wild woman who runs free and never stops to set up camp. But that only lasts so long and then I’m miserable because I gave up that tiny piece of home I had managed to create. I do not regret this. I needed to do it and I’m happy. I just hope there aren’t too many pieces to pick up when I get back.

3 comments:

  1. "All I really want is some reassurance that when I get back my whole life will not have been turned upside down."

    That might not be such a bad thing, you know what I'm saying? Sometimes I really want everything in my life to be radically different in the blink of an eye. I want permission to run wild. If everything is turned upside down it will give you the opportunity for new adventures, and to see life in a new way (which you will regardless, after having lives in another country.)

    You are young and so you should welcome the chance for things to be topsy-turvy for a while. You'll grow up and get a boring-ass job and fall into a routine. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but for now you have the chance to run free. Take it! Welcome the craziness. Who knows how long it will last? It could end up altering the course of your life for the better. Maybe the craziness will prevent you from ever having to settle into a mindless job and a quiet life.

    SAY YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the way, Netflix will hold on to your queue for two years:) So now worries there. And toilets. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor, you have given some sage advice. When I made the decision to come here, I asked for an adventure. While I do like to believe I am the adventurous type, I sometimes forget that I must let go of control over the situation to actually appreciate the adventure. Thank you for reminding me of why I decided to do this in the first place.

    ReplyDelete